Aquatic Physiotherapy Service (Hydrotherapy)
Aquatic Physiotherapy is specially designed programme carried out by a trained physiotherapist in a warm water (hydrotherapy) pool. The programme uses the properties of water to maximise function.
The aquatic physiotherapy service is suitable for people with:
- Spinal cord injury
- Cauda Equina
- TBI (traumatic brain injury)
- ABI (acquired brain injury)
- Stroke (a degree of balance and mobility is necessary, particular benefit is found in young people with stroke)
- Cerebral Palsy (children and adults)
- Strength and conditioning rehab needs, in readiness for gym work
A hydrotherapy pool is a warm water pool, usually between 34-35°C of varying depth. A range of equipment is used during treatment sessions including floats and paddles, allowing a tailored treatment approach. No previous swimming experience is required to access the hydrotherapy pool.
Our programmes follow 2 formats:
- A trained physiotherapist will offer 1:1 sessions lasting either 30 minutes or 45 minutes
- Supervised group sessions: individuals can access the pool at set times for 30 minutes to complete their own exercise programme. A physiotherapist will be in the pool to support and offer exercise progression where necessary
The pool is the Pinder Hydrotherapy Pool, located within Winchester Leisure Park. It has two accessible changing rooms with changing plinth, height adjustable toilet and sink plus a ceiling track hoist. There are male and female changing rooms with an accessible shower and seat.
"I just wanted to send you a quick note to say thank you - for the session yesterday and the opportunity to spend time in the pool afterwards. It’s difficult to put into words how incredible it feels to a positive experience in water; it really is the most wonderful, exciting and empowering experience. With your calm guidance and reassurance I am managing things in the pool that I never dreamed possible. I left on such a high yesterday which after the last 16 months of awfulness it is such a tonic.
I’m very tired today after swimming multiple ‘half widths’ with the woggle (how amazing!) and I may well take a minute to get my confidence again at the start of the next session but I am just so delighted - thank you so much."
HE, Aquatic Physiotherapy, Winchester